baked chicken with parmesan and tomatoes
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, drained
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 to 8 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1- ounce parmesan shaved into strips
- ½ cup parsley or basil coarsely chopped (optional)
heat oven to 425 degrees.
slice the tomatoes in half crosswise and place in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish along with garlic, oregano and crushed red pepper flakes, if using.
season with salt and pepper.
season chicken with salt and pepper and nestle into baking dish.
drizzle with olive oil and bake until chicken is about halfway cooked through, about 10 minutes.
remove from oven and place parmesan strips over chicken.
return to oven and continue to bake until chicken is cooked through, tomatoes are starting to caramelize, about 15 minutes more.
Broil to brown cheese for 3 minutes more if needed
remove from oven and sprinkle with parsley or basil before serving, if desired, and garnish with shavings of parmesan.