beer cheese burgers
for the cheese sauce:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3/4 cup beer
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 6 ounces grated sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
for the burgers:
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef , preferably chuck
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- vegetable oil , for the grill
- 4 sesame seed rolls , split
- tomato slices , for topping
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
preheat a grill to medium high.
melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
add the flour and mustard powder and cook, stirring, 3 minutes.
whisk in the beer and bring to a simmer; whisk in the half-and-half until smooth.
return the sauce to a simmer and cook, whisking occasionally, until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes.
stir in the cheese and horseradish until smooth; keep warm.
form the beef into four 6-ounce patties
season the patties on both sides with salt and pepper.
lightly brush the grill grates with vegetable oil, then grill the patties until marked on the bottom, about 5 minutes.
flip and cook until marked and slightly firm, about 3 more minutes for medium doneness.
remove the patties to a plate and let rest 2 minutes.
grill the rolls, cut-side down, until lightly toasted, about 1 minute.
top the bun bottoms with the burger patties, cheese sauce, tomato and chives.