the shrimp is cooked in coconut oil and then simmered in coconut milk to create a delicious coconut curry shrimp
coconut shrimp curry
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil divided
- 1 lb. raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/4 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder reduce to 1/2 tsp. for a less spicy curry
- 1 14- oz. can full-fat or lite coconut milk
- 1 6- oz. can tomato paste
- 1 15- oz. can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. warm water
- 1/3 c. chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 c. cooked rice for serving
in a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon coconut oil.
add shrimp and cook until pink, 1 to 2 minutes per side, then remove shrimp from pan and set aside.
add remaining tablespoon coconut oil, onion, and garlic.
cook until onions are soft, 4 minutes.
stir in garam masala, salt, curry powder, and chili powder, then add coconut milk, tomato paste, and chickpeas.
stir until combined and bring to a simmer.
mix cornstarch and water together, then stir into skillet.
simmer until thickened, 5 to 6 minutes.
stir in cooked shrimp and simmer, 2 minutes more.
sprinkle with cilantro and serve with rice.