New Orleans shrimp is a quick and hearty dish that can feed a crowd if you serve it over rice.
new orleans shrimp
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 celery rib finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 can 15 ounces italian tomato sauce
- 1 can 14-1/2 ounces no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb raw shrimp 31-40 per pound, peeled and deveined
in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
add onion, celery and pepper; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until tender.
add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, water, worcestershire sauce and cayenne; bring to a boil.
reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
add shrimp; cook 2-4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
serve with rice.