pasta with pumpkin and sausage is the perfect meal on a cold fall night.
pasta with pumpkin and sausage
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb italian sausage
- 4 cloves garlic cracked and chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf fresh or dried
- 4 to 6 sprigs sage leaves cut into chiffonade, about 2 tablespoons
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock canned or paper container
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg ground or freshly grated
- coarse salt and black pepper
- 1 lb penne cooked to al dente
- romano or parmigiana for serving
heat a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and brown the sausage in it.
transfer sausage to paper towel lined plate.
add the garlic and onion.
saute 3 to 5 minutes until the onions are tender.
add bay leaf, sage, and wine to the pan.
reduce wine by half, about 2 minutes.
add stock and pumpkin and stir to combine, stirring sauce until it comes to a bubble.
return sausage to pan, reduce heat, and stir in cream.
season the sauce with the cinnamon and nutmeg, and salt and pepper, to taste.
simmer mixture 5 to 10 minutes to thicken sauce.
return drained pasta to the pot you cooked it in.
remove the bay leaf from sauce and pour the sausage pumpkin sauce over pasta.
combine sauce and pasta and toss over low heat for 1 minute.