this sausage and broccoli risotto bakes in the oven and tastes amazing!
sausage and broccoli risotto
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bunch broccoli roughly chopped (about 8 ounces)
- 1 lb italian sausage casings removed
- 1/2 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot finely chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14- ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup grated fontina cheese
preheat the oven to 450 degrees f.
heat 1 tablespoon butter in a dutch oven or ovenproof pot over high heat.
add the broccoli and stir-fry until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon.
add the sausage, onion and carrot to the pot and cook, breaking up the meat, until browned, about 5 more minutes.
add the rice and garlic and cook, stirring, 1 more minute.
add the wine to the pot and cook until evaporated, about 2 minutes.
add the chicken broth, tomatoes and 1 cup water; cover and bring to a boil.
transfer the pot to the oven and bake until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
remove the pot from the oven. (don't worry if the risotto seems wet; it will thicken when you add the cheese.)
vigorously stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and the cheese until creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.
stir in the broccoli and divide among bowls.