sausage, cannellini beans and tortellini make this a hearty one pot meal that the whole family will love.
sausage white bean and tortellini soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces hot or sweet italian sausage removed from casings
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 medium rib celery chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- one 15-ounce can white beans such as cannellini or navy, rinsed and drained
- one 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- one 8- to 9-ounce package frozen tortellini
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- grated parmesan for serving
heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
add the sausage and cook, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 4 minutes.
add the onions and celery and continue to cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
add the beans, tomatoes, broth and 4 cups water and increase the heat to medium-high to bring to a simmer.
continue to simmer, adjusting the heat if necessary, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
add the tortellini and continue to cook until they are tender, 3-5 minutes.
season to taste with salt and pepper.
serve in bowls topped with a spoonful of pesto and a sprinkle of grated parmesan.