shrimp in a buttery hot sauce is a mexican take on buffalo sauce
shrimp in buttery hot sauce
- 1¼ pounds large shell-on shrimp preferably head-on
- kosher salt
- ½ cup mild mexican hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon tajín clásico seasoning or kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup 1 stick chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
cook shrimp in a large pot of boiling salted water just until opaque, about 30 seconds.
transfer to a paper towel–lined baking sheet and let drain.
bring hot sauce, lime juice, soy sauce, and tajín seasoning to a gentle simmer in a large skillet over medium-low.
whisking constantly, gradually add butter a few pieces at a time.
whisk until all butter is incorporated and sauce is emulsified.
add shrimp and cook, tossing gently and adjusting heat as needed to keep sauce just below a simmer, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
serve on top of onion on a platter.