skillet deep dish pizza
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sweet or hot italian sausage crumbled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1- pound fresh pizza dough at room temperature
- 10 ounces whole milk low-moisture mozzarella thinly sliced
- 1 cup your favorite marinara sauce or 1 1/2 cups crushed and strained san marzano tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
preheat the oven to 400 degrees f.
heat a skillet over medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
cook the sausage until it browns, 8 to 10 minutes, drain on a paper towel
grease the inside of a 12-inch cast-iron skillet with the butter.
place the pizza dough in the center and spread evenly towards the bottom edge and 1 1/2 inches up the sides.
the order of topping layers is very important to achieving a crisp bottom pizza crust.
begin with the sausage.
evenly lay the sausage on the dough, followed by the mozzarella and marinara.
sprinkle the garlic and oregano on top.
finish with the parmesan and drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
place the skillet pizza on the bottom rack of the oven and cook until the edge of the crust is golden brown and crusty, 30 to 35 minutes.
remove and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.