3 different colored bell peppers, serrano chili and a habenero makes this spicy sausages with three peppers pop with flavor.
spicy sausages with three peppers
- 1 lb sweet italian sausage pricked all over with a fork
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus more for brushing
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 green bell pepper cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 1 small fennel bulb—trimmed cored and thinly sliced
- 1 serrano chilis seeded and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 habanero chili seeded and thinly sliced
- salt & pepper
- ½ cup dry red wine
- ½ cup freshly grated pecorino cheese
- crusty bread for serving
set a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and add the 1 tablespoons of olive oil.
add the sausages and cook, turning, until nicely browned and just cooked through, about 15 minutes total.
remove the sausages to a plate
add the remaining 2 tbl of olive oil and the peppers, onion, fennel and chilis and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 15 minutes.
season with salt & pepper
add the sausages and wine to the skillet and simmer until the wine has reduced by half, about 4 minutes.
remove from the heat and sprinkle half of the pecorino cheese over the sausage and peppers.
serve with bread, passing the remaining pecorino at the table.