white bean piccata pasta with broccoli
- kosher salt
- 1- pound mezze rigatoni or casarecce
- 2 cups small broccoli florets from 1 head broccoli
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 15-ounce can white beans (such as cannellini or great northern), drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup drained capers
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice plus lemon wedges for serving
- black pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
add the pasta and cook according to package instructions until al dente.
three minutes before the pasta is done, add the broccoli (the broccoli should be crisp-tender when the pasta is al dente).
reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water then drain the pasta and broccoli.
while the pasta cooks, make the sauce:
in a large (12-inch) skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
add the shallot and a pinch of salt and stir until softened, 1 to 2 minutes.
add the white wine and cook until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes.
add 1/4 cup of the pasta water, the beans, capers and a pinch of salt, and simmer until saucy and slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
reduce the heat to medium, add the lemon juice, cooked pasta and broccoli, and stir until the pasta is coated in the sauce, adding pasta water as needed to coat.
season to taste with salt and pepper.
transfer to bowls, top with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.